Religious organizations at NMSU prepare for Easter holiday weekend

Picture+courtesy+of+Creative+Commons.+

Picture courtesy of Creative Commons.

At New Mexico State University, Christian organizations are preparing for Good Friday and Easter morning by creating activities and sermons for anyone who wishes to attend. The two Christian communities at NMSU, Aggies for Christ and the Newman Center, are one of the many who desires to celebrate this significant holy day.

Before colorful bunnies and egg-shaped candies, the history of Easter can be traced back to the events from the Bible. The four gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John all tell the life of Jesus Christ from differing points of view. However, each have the same ending. Jesus, falsely convicted, approaching the cross, dying a painful death, and coming to life once again, hence providing the irresistible gift of grace and salvation.

This message is what Christians throughout the world celebrate. It is the purpose and drive behind their sermons and teachings.

Aggies for Christ and University Church of Christ both act as one organization, since college students go to UCC sermons on Sunday and meet up groups on Wednesday. Matt Schalk, the Campus Minister at University Church of Christ, talked about the Easter events that would occur there on Sunday.

“On Sunday, we’ll have the 10:30 worship service and a guest preacher from Pepperdine University. There’s going to be special music and photo booths, free food, and Easter egg hunts for kids. It’s going to be a neat event,” Schalk said.

Schalk also added that the one thing he wishes for newcomers to get out of the Easter sermon on Sunday is the feeling of being welcomed and fitting in.

“Every week, a lot of college students attend UCC and the campus groups, so Easter is no different. If anything, it’s amplified. We’re going to open our doors wide for people and make sure that they feel welcomed. And, if they don’t know anything about Easter and Christianity, we want them to feel safe here,” said Schalk.

At the Newman Center, there will be two Easter events that will be held on Friday. The first, “Adoration of the Cross” will last from 3 to 4 p.m. And the second, “The Seven Last Words” will commence at 7 p.m.

Philip Alvarez, one of the custodians for maintenance, had offered his time to volunteer with setting up.

“We have a guy that’s going to set up a pond in the chapel for baptisms and some people will receive an RCIA. It’s an admittance into the church that shows they had become Catholic,” Alvarez said.

Alvarez also stated what Easter meant to him.

“For me, it’s an awareness that God’s calling us to come closer to Him,” Alvarez said.

For many Christians, Easter is a symbolic time, and not only is this weekend going to be filled with campus events, but it will also be a time for Christians to remember and celebrate.