15th annual ‘Big Event’ set to take place April 14

Courtesy of ASNMSU

The Associated Students of New Mexico State University’s 15th annual The Big Event is set to take place on April 14, 2018 for approximately 1000 registered NMSU students and employees. The goal of the annual off-campus event is to provide volunteer services and to beautify the city of Las Cruces as a thank you for everything the city does for the university. Check in begins at 8 a.m. at Preciado Park on NMSU’s campus.

This year’s TBE lands on the same date as the City of Las Cruces’ event—The Great American Cleanup—an event with similar tasks of TBE. This coincidence brings the potential for not only further community members, but also high school organizations such as student governments, honor societies, and JROTC programs from Las Cruces to work alongside NMSU students and employees towards the same goal.

ASNMSU’s Director of Community Outreach Adrian Llañez says that “We [ASNMSU and the City of Las Cruces] picked a perfect day for all of us.” He explains that after TBE and TGAC conclude, all participants are invited to Walmart located on Walton Boulevard for a sponsored cookout.

As for numbers, ASNMSU has doubled the number of jobs sites available and has nearly matched Keep State Great’s record of participants—which was 1500—by receiving about 1000 applications for this year’s TBE. Students will work in teams with an assigned task.

Such job sites for this year include parks, canals, the Las Cruces Arroyo, residential areas on Picacho Mountain, and areas around the historic Dona Ana Courthouse. Students who are unable to commute around the city can participate through on-campus sites.

“We are a commuter school so having those outside jobs around the community is important—but at the same time, students who are not commuters need to have the opportunity to get those hours in as well.” says Llañez.

Dr. William Gould from the College of Business will be leading his own team whose job is to collect donations for the Feed Las Cruces Initiative. Students will navigate around the city and go to door-to-door asking for canned foods. All collected donations and will go the Jardin de los Niños—which is an early childhood program in Las Cruces.

“The ASNMSU Roadrunners and I are incredibly excited to see students help out the Las Cruces community.” says Assistant Director of Community Outreach Ryan May. He says ASNMSU is more than ready to host the event in support of the city.

Following check in, foods and drinks will be available, and the first 1000 students to register will receive a free t-shirt. For more information concerning The Big Event, contact ASNMSU’s Department of Community Outreach at [email protected].