NMSU professor announces retirement due to poor Board of Regents leadership

Courtesy+photo%3A+NMSU+College+of+Business+
Courtesy photo: NMSU College of Business

A New Mexico State University Distinguished Professor has announced he will retire this June.

Regents Professor James “Jim” Peach said April 23 that he will be stepping away from a job that he “loves” on June 30, 2018.

His announcement comes amid the search for a new Chancellor and Provost. In his resignation letter obtained by The Round Up, Peach said he no longer wants to work for the new leadership the current Board of Regents will appoint.

“The regents claim they want a change agent as chancellor but they had one in hand,” Peach wrote.

Peach has been with NMSU for 38 years, and currently holds the acclaimed titles of Regents Professor, Distinguished Achievement Professor, and Chevron Endowed Professor.

Peach openly addressed the problems he holds with the board of Regents in his letter.

“The regents have trashed the university publicly and repeatedly while their job is to guide, foster, and promote the institution. The regents have attempted to micro-manage the university but lack the knowledge and expertise to do so,” the letter reads. “At best, the regents are numerically and logically challenged.”

Resignation letter from Professor James Peach obtained by The Round Up.

The Board of Regents at NMSU hold five-year terms and are appointed by the Governor of New Mexico. In his letter, Peach mentions their poor standing with the state government.

“The regents are so bad that 55 members of the legislature requested their resignation.” Peach said.

In February, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported that Democratic Senate President Mary Kay Papen drafted a letter calling on the Regents to resign. This followed the regents’ vote to restrict the outgoing Chancellor Carruther’s administrative powers.

Many lawmakers agree that the Regents have been politicized and lack certain credentials necessary to oversee an educational institution, the Sun-News reported.

Throughout his letter, Peach offers no mercy in his honest opinions of the Board of Regents.

“In more than 40 years in the academic world, I have never seen a more incompetent board,” Peach said.

Peach condemns the future of the institution under the Regents’ leadership, saying it will be detrimental to this “great institution.”

In closing his letter, Peach shows his gratitude toward the stellar students, colleagues and work environments which he has encountered over his career at NMSU.

“I wish nothing but the best for NMSU,” the letter finishes. 

Alanna Herrera, Managing Editor
Alanna Herrera is entering her second year at The Round Up, this year serving as the Managing Editor. She is a sophomore studying Journalism and Mass Communications at New Mexico State University. She loves traveling, is a sucker for good puns and spends her spare time crushing her boyfriend in Words with Friends. Alanna is...
5 Comments

5 Responses to “NMSU professor announces retirement due to poor Board of Regents leadership”

1. Bob Gallagher on May 1st, 2018 12:20 pm

How sad this is, Dr. Jim peach is arguably one of the most noteworthy and accomplished faculty members at New Mexico State University. His work as an economist is nationally acclaimed and is utilized frequently by regulatory agencies as well as the legislature. During my six year tenure on the board of regents I often sought Dr. peaches advice And counsel which he gave freely of his time and knowledge and experience. I can only hope that NMSU can pull together and provide the leadership and direction that the board has not and apparently cannot provide.

2. Valarie on May 1st, 2018 4:36 pm

This is a shame and has me wondering as I transfer for my Bacholars next year if this is a college I want to continue my degree.

3. Steve on May 1st, 2018 8:42 pm

*bachelors

4. Alyce on May 2nd, 2018 8:43 am

I agree with Professor Peach that the regents have been less than spectacular in their jobs. Our Regents are businessmen first and foremost who do not understand the workings of a public, non-for-profit University. Their decisions are based on business practices not on the real needs of the university.

I have to disagree with him that our current leadership has been beneficial to this university. Our current leaders have tried to run this university as a for-profit business which it is NOT. Focus has been continually on the advancement of upper management and faculty while the workers have been decimated. We have more administrators and fewer workers than ever in the history of the university. Most workers are carrying the loads of two jobs or more and have received NO pay increase for years. We need a new leader who knows how a university should be run and a new board of regents from academia and not from the business world.

5. Jeff Eaton on May 2nd, 2018 3:22 pm

This will be a great loss to NMSU and the state. Dr. Peach is one of my all-time favorite professors. As an Aggie (class of 1994) and as an economist (by choice), I wish him the very best and thank him for his spirited love for the students, and the university. His generosity in sharing his humor and intellect with all of us will be missed. Damnit, Jim! I’m an economist, not a politician!

• NMSU professor announces retirement due to poor Board of Regents leadership

Chancellor Arvizu aims to make NMSU a “catalyst for change”

Editor's Picks

The Spirit versus the Spreadsheet: NMSU terminates long-time employee

Editor's Picks

NMSU students begin journey interning at Google

Multi-year underground repair project underway

Editor's Picks

The Round Up is back; Goodbye to the Best College Job

Editor's Picks

NMSU seeking to rename room after controversial company

Editor's Picks

Controversial past still follows New Mexico governor candidate Lujan Grisham

Editor's Picks

Attorney General Jeff Sessions addresses border issues in visit to Las Cruces

Editor's Picks

Board of Regents discuss possible tuition increases

Editor's Picks

Amberg twins enjoy final season of competing together at New Mexico State