ASNMSU holds first meeting of 2019

ASNMSU discusses Pete’s Patio grand opening at first meeting of 2019.

The 62nd Associated Students of New Mexico State University held their first meeting of the spring semester Thursday evening and discussed council and committee updates as well as announcements from the interim provost.  

April Mason, interim provost for New Mexico State University, addressed the senate and announced that the regent’s will receive the first draft of the Vision 2025 strategic plan for the university Monday and ASNMSU members will be able to submit input at that time. 

“We will be working with your leadership to be sure you see this because it is a document that is for the entire system of New Mexico State University, and obviously your input as students is incredibly important to us,” Mason said.  

She said she is also working with Renay Scott, vice president of student success, and college deans on class scheduling to provide students with the classes they need in the correct sequence. Confusion with how some courses are listed in the current course catalogue is also being addressed.  

Mason will hold the provost position through the end of May. She said once the position is filled, the new provost will launch searches to fill permanent dean positions for the colleges of education and health and social services.  

“I could start those searches, I’ve done a number of dean searches in my career, but candidates would want to know who they’re going to be working for on a more permanent basis, and that will be the new provost,” Mason said. 

The meeting continued with various updates from representatives of the college councils and the various committees. Courtney Beck, director of activities, announced that Pete’s Patio will be opening Jan. 31 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., and will serve as the tailgate before the Aggie men’s basketball game. She also said Pete’s Party will host an open mic night held in Pete’s Patio at least once a month. The first will be Feb. 7 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.  

William Bradford, director of governmental affairs, said the Capital Outlay Project, in which ASNMSU is requesting $750,000 from the New Mexico legislature, is expected to receive full funding. He also said Senate Bills 80 and 81 and House Bill 127, which deal with increasing scholarship funds, have been sent to multiple committees for consideration, but they have support from leaders in the legislature. Bradford said House Bill 146, which proposes making the Lottery Scholarship needs-based and is not supported by ASNMSU, is still under consideration as well.  

The meeting continued with an open forum, where multiple groups, including Indian Student Affairs, updated the senate on their organization’s accomplishments from the previous semester. The senate completed the meeting by passing a number of appropriation bills. 

The next ASNMSU Senate meeting will be held Feb. 7 at 6 p.m. in the Corbett Center Senate Gallery and Chamber.