New ASNMSU president Cisneros replaces close friend in office; says there’s still work to be done

ASNMSU+president+Linda+Cisneros.+

ASNMSU president Linda Cisneros.

Linda Cisneros took over as Associated Students of New Mexico State University president two weeks ago and is working to finish the projects left to her for the spring semester.

Cisneros held the position of ASNMSU vice president until President Emerson Morrow resigned April 12. The resignation happened before Morrow could undergo an ASNMSU Supreme Court hearing for his impeachment on the grounds of misfeasance of office. Morrow was accused of attending two ASNMSU meetings in a professional capacity while under the influence of alcohol.

“In an ideal world this would never have happened, but I am super thankful that he left the groundwork for the association to continue working on projects that we all cared about and that we’re all invested in,” Cisneros said. “This was unexpected, but I feel confident in finishing out what needs to get done.”

Cisneros said she will be finishing the transition manual for the incoming president and vice president, communicating with organizations on campus and attending meetings required by the president. She said the departments within ASNMSU are also working on a few final projects for the semester.

“Our PR [public relations] team is working on a few videos, promotional videos. Our Senate is introducing tons of legislation and still revolving around some of the tasks of the departments,” Cisneros said. “The thing is, the departments can’t do much unless the Law Book allows them to, so senate is trying to adjust things for them in order for them to maximize the time and effort that they put in. We are also looking into making the reimbursement process here at ASNMSU a little more streamlined and approachable for any student to come and get reimbursement.”

Cisneros said Morrow had also committed funds from the ASNMSU sponsorship account to help a few organizations on campus with projects they are currently working on. She said she could not name all of the organizations, but one of them is Collegiate FFA. She said she will be working with the fiscal advisor, Debbie Peel, to ensure the groups get the monetary support they need.

Although the end of the semester is fast approaching, Cisneros said she and her team will continue to work hard these last few weeks.

“Just because we’re winding down to the end of the semester doesn’t mean that ASNMSU’s taking anything easy. We are working extremely hard still,” Cisneros said. “My team works super hard constantly and I appreciate them so much and I wish that there was more light on the amount of work that they put into the association for all students here.”

Cisneros will be fulfilling the president’s duties until April 25 when Evan Conner and Melina Burnside will be sworn in at the final senate meeting of the semester as the new ASNMSU president and vice president for the 2019-2020 academic year. She said she wants to make sure their transition into office is smooth. Some advice she suggested for them was to acknowledge all of their wins and not forget why they originally ran for office.

Ehtesham Shareef will be taking over as vice president for the meeting, Cisneros said, unless the senate votes to appoint a senator to chair it. She said the same process will happen to fulfill the president pro-tempore position.

“I am super thankful for everything ASNMSU has given to me,” Cisneros said. “This has been one of the best experiences that anyone could have here and I feel like it’s a privilege. I feel like I got the most out of it that I could have and I’m excited to hand off the reigns to Melina and to Evan.”