NMSU passport office relocates to improve accessibility for Las Cruces community

The Passport Application Acceptance Facility is now located in the Education Services Building, Room 8.

New Mexico State University U.S. Passport Application Acceptance Facility, formerly located in Breland Hall, has moved to the Educational Services building in Room 8 as of Nov. 4 to be more accessible for the community.  

Having first opened in June 2016, the passport office was created to assist students interested in study abroad as well as faculty and staff whose business would take them internationally. According Manager of the Passport Acceptance Facility Brenda Brown, the services are also offered to members of the Las Cruces community.  

“This is a wonderful opportunity for community members to come to campus that would normally not have a need and a true partnership that benefits students, faculty, staff and Las Cruces area community members,” Brown said.  

NMSU sophomore Andrea Sariana said the move appeared to be beneficial. 

“I guess the move just makes it easier to go to [the office] since it’s with all the other services like the financial aid and all that which is good because it does seem like an important resource that students need,” Sariana said. “Usually you only see any information about it at study abroad fairs.” 

Brown explained that the move, primarily advertised by wordofmouth and NMSU marketing and communications, was made in an effort to make itself more visible to the community it serves.  

The Passport Acceptance Facility was moved to Educational Services to be more accessible to individuals on campus as well as the public; there is also significantly more visibility as the Educational Services Building is a high traffic building,” Brown said.  

As NMSU is placing a greater emphasis on experiential learning opportunities through study abroad, the passport office anticipates their student clientele to grow as curiosity drives for exploration. 

Brown described the services offered by this office as extensive and complex.  

In short, for individuals 18 years and older, passport applications are accepted at this office along with proof of U.S. citizenship and a photo I.D., the process is different for minors,” Brown said. These applications are reviewed and then sent to a lockbox which distributes them to one of the processing centers around the country. The actual passport is distributed from the processing center. There is a lot of work that takes place behind the scenes in screening applicants for passports however.” 

For more information the Passport Application Acceptance Facility is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Room 8 of the Educational Service Building. Currently they are not accepting appointments, only offering a walkin service.