Brief: Former criminal justice professor files lawsuit against NMSU

Former criminal justice professor filed a lawsuit against NMSU claiming retaliation, discrimination and interference.

Former criminal justice professor Francisco Alatorre filed a lawsuit against New Mexico State University on Dec. 27, 2019 in the state’s  Third Judicial Court. In addition to the university, College of Arts and Sciences Dean Enrico Pontelli and Criminal Justice Department Head Dennis Giever are listed as additional defendants.

According to case details, Alatorre’s civil complaint includes retaliation, discrimination and interference. The Las Cruces Sun-News reported that Alatorre claimed NMSU interfered with his promotion and tenure after he agreed to cooperate in an investigation in 2015 that looked into discriminatory conduct within the department.

Additionally, Alatorre also claimed that the university failed to provide him with disability accommodations for his diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder.

The Round Up reached out to Giever for comment on the lawsuit, but he declined to speak on the matter due to the case being a pending litigation.

“Since this involves a pending lawsuit, we have been advised to not speak with anyone but our legal counsel,” Giever said.

An official court date has not yet been released and the amount of money that Alatorre is requesting in damages is unknown at this time.