NMSU Enters Partnership; Introduces Own Beer

NMSU+President+Garrey+Carruthers+%28Left%29%2C+Bosque+Managing+Director+Gabe+Jensen%2C+and+Athletic+Director+Mario+Moccia+pose+on+Thursday+as+the+University+announced+a+partnership+that+includes+their+own%2C+branded%2C+beer.+

NMSU President Garrey Carruthers (Left), Bosque Managing Director Gabe Jensen, and Athletic Director Mario Moccia pose on Thursday as the University announced a partnership that includes their own, branded, beer.

Christian Iglesias

Christian Iglesias

Christian Iglesias

LAS CRUCES – New Mexico State Aggies will be able to cheer on their teams this athletic season with their very own NMSU beer.

NMSU and Bosque Brewing Co. officially unveiled Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale today at Bosque’s Las Cruces taproom at 901 E. University Ave. A good crowd of both current NMSU students and NMSU alumni attended the event.

The beer was named after the Aggie Mascot and the year NMSU was founded. Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale, or ’88 for short, will also be a huge complement while attending NMSU games.

“I discovered this product to be an A plus product and it’s very smooth,” NMSU Chancellor Garrey Carruthers said while at the event’s press conference Thursday evening.

Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale will be available in its NMSU themed can statewide early next year. The Ale will available be on tap at Bosque’s Las Cruces taproom and at the first Aggie home football game on Sept. 16 at Aggie Memorial Stadium.

NMSU is now the fifth school in the country to have its own brand of beer, according to NMSU Athletic Director Mario Moccia.

“But the best of the bunch by far is Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale, officially licensed product of New Mexico State University, and we’re very excited about that,” Moccia said. “Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale will be sold at all Aggie football games, Men’s Basketball, and it will be available in cans, end of December – early January.”

The new NMSU beverage is great way to promote the University throughout the state. NMSU athletic programs will also get proceeds from each purchase of the beer.

Pistol Pete’s 1888 Ale appears in silver and crimson colored cans and was designed at NMSU. Both the cans and the boxes containing the ale feature the lyrics of the Aggie fight song. The Boxes were also made at NMSU and contain the Aggie and Bosque Brewing logos in crimson and white, along with the ale’s nickname “’88” and the Pistol Pete logo on there as well.

Not only are NMSU officials excited, but former and current Aggies are excited as well.

“Its great to you know – see your college on a beer, especially like at Bosque’s, one of my favorite brewery’s,” alumnus Eric Ellis said.

People are excited for this new beverage and see the unveiling of the ’88 as a big deal to the Aggie community.

“Considering the amount of people that are here, obviously it’s a big deal to the Aggie community,” current NMSU student Stephen Garcia said. “It’s going to be awesome when they start serving this at the games – cheer on the Aggie’s winning, and drink the ’88.”

NMSU Students also liked the appearance of the can and as well as how their school was represented.

“Definitely like the can, it’s also cool that they included the fight song on it,” Garcia said.

Visit Bosque’s and attend the first Aggie home game on Sept. 16 at Aggie Memorial Stadium to grab your ’88.