NMSU FAFSA priority deadline coming up

New Mexico State University’s priority deadline for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is March 1, which is quickly approaching, and students should know how to fill out the important information.

According to NMSU’s Financial Aid & Scholarship Services website, “The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in determining your eligibility for grants, loans, and/or work-study.”

Vandeen McKenzie, Director of NMSU’s Financial Aid & Scholarship Services, explained that filling out the FAFSA on time is important for students “…so they can be considered for additional grant funding and their aid can be available at the starting of classes. If a student completes their FAFSA by the priority date and completes their file early they will receive their financial aid award for the upcoming academic year in May.”

McKenzie explained, “This allows the student to make a realistic financial plan for the academic year because they are aware of how much funding they will be receiving.”

The March 1 priority date is what, according to McKenzie, “…is used to determine a student’s eligibility for additional grant funding.” McKenzie continued to say that, “It must be noted that everyone who meets the March 1st priority date does not receive the additional grant funds because these funds are limited and may be exhausted before all the eligible students are awarded.”

McKenzie also explained that, a week after a student submits their FAFSA, it is sent to NMSU’s Financial Aid & Scholarship Services. They then verify the information on the FAFSA, and if nothing needs to be verified, “the student’s file is complete and ready to be awarded…continuing students will be awarded after spring grades are posted in May.”

If students need help filling out their FAFSA, Financial Aid & Scholarship Services can provide assistance. Students can go to the Financial Aid & Scholarship Services office, where they will receive help from a student aide. Financial Aid & Scholarship Services also hosts FAFSA Fast Forward nights, where Financial Aid staff members help students fill out their FAFSA.

The next FAFSA night will be February 27, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM at the Hardman & Jacobs Undergraduate Learning Center first floor computer lab. Two $500 scholarships for the 2018-2019 academic year will be given away at the event.

McKenzie advised that students “should always try to maximize their financial resources by looking for additional funds to cover their educational cost.” Students can do this by filling out Scholar Dollar$, NMSU’s own scholarship application, and by “review the private scholarship opportunities page on the financial aid website.”

The priority deadline for NMSU’s own scholarship application, Scholar Dollar$, is also March 1.

More information about the FAFSA can be found at https://fa.nmsu.edu/fafsa/, or by calling University Financial Aid and Scholarship Services at 575-646-4105