Northern New Mexico’s ‘Weck’s’ restaurant looks to be front-runner to replace Dublin’s

Weck's has confirmed a Las Cruces location at 1745 East University Avenue as of Monday. 
Photo courtesy of Weck's.

Weck's has confirmed a Las Cruces location at 1745 East University Avenue as of Monday. Photo courtesy of Weck's.

Numerous rumors have surfaced after Dublin’s, deemed by many to be the watering hole for New Mexico State University students, closed abruptly Monday evening.

Many people speculating about who will inherit the building have high hopes it will be the popular Albuquerque breakfast hub, Weck’s.

Dubbing itself a “full-belly tradition,” Weck’s has grown to 12 locations, two licensed locations and over 400 employees state wide since 1991.

Joe Garcia, vice president of operations at Weck’s, shed some light on the swirling rumors.

“We have plans— things in the works, but there has been no official company announcement,” Garcia said. “We have every intention of being [in Las Cruces] in the near future, but until we make a company-wide announcement, I’m not at liberty to say where the official location will be.”

Garcia said the announcement will come in the near future, but until then, the Las Cruces community can rest assured that a hefty breakfast is on its way.

Albuquerque Business First reported plans to move to Las Cruces back in November.

The article claims the company also is under contract to acquire a building in Las Cruces for a location there and is eyeing expansion elsewhere, including Roswell and El Paso, Texas.

“We think we can do really well in those markets,” Weck’s owner Art Kaplan said. “Southern New Mexico is a great market for us.”

A source close to the Weck’s situation told The Round Up that Weck’s has begun arranging plans with some of its employees to make the trip down to Las Cruces in the coming weeks to help open the new restaurant.

The old Dublin’s building is having an auction the morning of February 9 to sell the equipment and furniture that is inside.  

Though the location has yet to be officially confirmed by way of an official company-wide announcement, Garcia said Weck’s is looking forward to the expansion into the Mesilla Valley.

“I will say that we are excited to be joining all of you in the Aggie Nation very soon.”

About the Writers
Alanna Herrera, Managing Editor

Alanna Herrera is entering her second year at The Round Up, this year serving as the Managing Editor. She is a sophomore studying Journalism and Mass Communications...

Derek Gonzales, Editor-in-Chief

Derek E. Gonzales enters his third year as an employee of the New Mexico State University Round Up and first as the Editor-in-Chief. The homegrown product...

1 Comment

One Response to “Northern New Mexico’s ‘Weck’s’ restaurant looks to be front-runner to replace Dublin’s”

1. Margie Maestas on February 13th, 2019 6:10 am

I once enjoyed Weck’s for breakfast (Rio Rancho and Cottonwood). The quality of their servings is declining. Prices continue to increase! They are growing too fast. I now rarely eat there. Staff, however, is wonderful! (Exception: Employees with visible, heavy tatoos detract from Weck’s professional image!)

• Northern New Mexico’s ‘Weck’s’ restaurant looks to be front-runner to replace Dublin’s

NMSU student parking permit prices face inflation for next fall

Students allege government professor’s twitter full of bigoted content  

Students react to Borgore concert at NMSU: Video

ASNMSU brings Borgore to campus for annual Spring Fling concert

ASNMSU President Emerson Morrow officially resigns; avoids impeachment hearing

NMSU Dining responds to circulating cockroach video in Taos Restaurant

NMSU President Floros: Most of tuition increase will go directly back to students

NMSU student captures video of cockroach near food at Taos Restaurant

NMSU students participate in 16th-annual community clean-up

Aggressive birds return to NMSU campus